See our application form here
The First Church Fellowship is a multi-year program to provide paid ministry training to seminary students.
This program is open to entering students at Asbury Theological Seminary. Please see the Requirements of Fellows before applying.
All fellowships are one-year commitments with an option for the Fellow and First UMC to renew for up to six years. Preference will be given to applicants who plan to serve 4-6 years.
Benefits to Fellows
- Work experience and mentoring in a respected multi-site United Methodist Church
- Complete seminary without debt — tuition, housing and living expenses covered by First UMC (see program details for more)
- Possible continuing job opportunity after graduation, or connections to a wide ministry network
Requirements of Fellows
- 30 hours per week of ministry work and training at First UMC, under the supervision of your assigned ministry mentor.
- Fellows will receive four weeks of paid time off per year for vacation, sick leave and other time off.
- Duties will be assigned by fellow’s mentor, with increasing levels of responsibility and opportunity.
- Commitment to part-time seminary enrollment. All fellows will be expected to enroll for classes during spring, summer and fall. Maximum enrollment:
- 15 credits per year during the first two years of the fellowship
- 17 credits per year during the next two years
- 18 credits per year during the final two years
- Application deadline: June 30, 2016
- Please use our Application Form to complete your application. Application includes your spiritual and ministry experience and three short essays:
- Your personal testimony – 500 words or less
- Why you are attending seminary – 300 words or less
- Why you are interested in participating in this program – 500 words or less
- An interview and references may be requested during the application process.
- Fellowship offers will be made no later than July 20.